New, Larger, 2.0 Diesel Battery

A combination of age and the cold whether seemed to be taking it's toll on the way the car started, for a couple of weeks now I had been having cold starting problems.

I decided to go and get the battery tested at Halfords, as I new they did free testing so it would be an easy free way to rule out, or pin point the battery as the problem.

The results of the battery test showed it was only at a lowly 30% start capacity, no wonder I was having problems.

I decided to upgrade to a battery standard to the 2.0 diesel MG ZR and Rover 25. The battery is a lot bigger, and has a greater power output needed to start the larger diesel engine. Reading around on the forums will show you numerous people have done the same, more often than not to power their custom stereo installs with high power sub-woofers etc.

I went for one of Halfords own batteries, a Halfords HCB075 Advanced Calcium Maintenance Free Battery with a 4 year guarantee, which should see me through to the end of my ownership of the car.

I went for the Halfords one as I was already at the store, however, having thought about it you could probably get an equivalent one from eurocarparts.com (or the like) a lot cheaper.

Once fitted I noticed a considerable difference over the old one, the lights appeared much brighter and the stereo sounded better. It was obviously not getting enough power to it, just proves the old one must have been properly on it's way out!

If you need to change your battery and aren't sure how take a look at my how to guide -

Battery - Disconnecting, Removing and Refitting


New battery






Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.