Custom Longlife Stainless Steel Back Box

I'd been after a new back box for quite a while, originally wanting an X-Power 6x4" Oval made by Janspeed. But these were quite rare second hand, and expensive new.

Out of sheer luck I stumbled on a new for sale thread on themgzr forums that advertised an unknown brand 5x3" exhaust. The pictures showed the exhaust was pretty dirty, what you might expect from something hung underneath a car, but was advertised as solid with good welds, so for £40 posted I took the gamble. I knew the fella, Jake (rakester on themgzr.co.uk), from a previous purchase, so I trusted what he said about the item being ok.


Actually, it turned out to be a custom made Longlife Stainless Steel back box, which would have cost in the region of £170, so it was an absolute bargain.

When it arrived it was pretty cruddy, so I decided to try and rescue it a bit and gave it a bloody good clean.

I broke out the engine cleaner, brasso and metal polish and set about it. I must admit, even I was shocked how well it came up.

Before (left) - After (right)




Obviously I can't not comment on the noise it makes, I have to say it sounds awesome, a deep rumble, quite quiet when just ambling along but comes alive when you go up the revs. Absolutely what I wanted, and actually the more rectangular shape fits the bumper cut out better than the 6x4" oval anyway, so a win win in the end!

Here are some images to compare the old standard back box with the new one.

Comparison (old vs new)







Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.