Face Off Grille Project - New Mounts Fitted

This is just a small update today, following on from this post - Face Off Grille Project. The grille has got new mounts and I got messy with fibre glass...



Work has been on going on the custom Moto build face off grille. From the thin sheet metal templates I made up the final mounts from thicker aluminium, initially without fixing holes. Before the brackets could be permanently fixed to the grille, I temporarily held them in place with tape, this allowed me to offer the grille up to the car and make sure they were located correctly, then mark the fixing hole locations for a perfect bespoke fit.

Once the mounting brackets were located correctly, and the holes marked, they could be removed and drilled. Another test fit and everything is looking good.


The mounts could now be prep'd for fibre-glassing, I drilled a number of holes in the face that would be touching the inside of the grille, this would give the fibre glass resin a chance to seep through the holes giving a very strong hold.


The fibre glass was quite difficult to use at first, and the first batch I made up set far quicker than I imagined and therefore I only used a small amount of it. So lessons learnt I made smaller batches with slightly less hardener in it from then on. After a short while though, all the mounts were on and absolutely solid.



The next job is to fill any moulding defects and scuffs in the A-surface (surface you see), attach the mesh and get the first coats of primer laid down.

Let me know what you think in the comments below!

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.