Rear MG ZR 160 Suspension Fitted

The standard height of the Rover 25 is just short of exiting the upper atmosphere, you could fit a small family in the arch gaps. 

Working to my student budget, I bought a second hand set of MG ZR 160 shocks and springs for £85.

The MG ZR 160 shocks are the same as the rest of the ZR range, but the front springs have a higher spring rate to cope with the extra performance and weight of the 1.8, meaning my front end will be a little stiffer than the stock 1.4 setup.


Being second hand, the suspension parts looked quite tired. To freshen them up, I cleaned up the shocks then sprayed them with Halfords satin black paint. The springs got taken to a powder coater and coated bright red. Much more like it.


Knowing I'd need some spring compressors, my dad machined a set strong and stable enough to compress the very stiff ZR springs.


I decided to start with the rear suspension, supposedly it was the easier one to start with. Didn't stop me taking a chunk out of my knuckle whilst removing it though.

I marked the position of the fixings on the top mounts then got started with removing both rear struts.


Using the home made spring compressors, the struts were held in a vice and the springs compressed enough to get the top mounts on and secured.


Both struts built, the rear suspension could be reassembled and the drop measured. The pictures below show the before and after of both rear struts.

Before (left) and After (right)


For all those interested in doing this upgrade, the amount the MG ZR set up is lower than the standard Rover 25 springs is around 22mm, as shown in the pics below.


The suspension may settle a bit more, but for now it looks like this. I'm really happy with the result, there is now a more consistent gap around the 16" Hairpin alloy wheels, and the car no longer looks like it's on stilts. Yes, I could have gone with some lowering springs, but the budget couldn't stretch that far.


All that remains now is to get the fronts done!

Let me know what you think in the comments below, have you done this upgrade on your Rover 25? Did you go with lowering springs over the ZR's?

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.