Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Been driving for a while now with a big hole in the new leather steering wheel, so I though it was about time to get my thinking cap on and sort it out.

I bought the steering wheel radio controls ages ago to go into the gap, just had no idea how to wire them up as I had been sent a bundle of wires, the controls and a couple of screws.

Luckily I still had my old steering wheel, so I played around with that to try and figure out what was what. Turns out I had been sent too many wires, and an extra connector.

So to start off I had to remove the controls from the connector they came with, so I could fit them into my steering wheel. Getting the wires out of the connectors though was a bit of a game, plenty of prodding and pulling and they eventually came out and left me with this.


Next job was to remove the airbag, after that it was a case of unplugging the connector and shoving in the wires in.


After that all that was left to do is screw it to the wheel, this was easily done, two small screws and its job done.


Just a case of replacing the airbag and connecting the battery up.  Here they are fitted.



After having replaced the headunit, I was curious to see whether they would still work, but sadly they don't. In the future I may invest in a converter so that they will work, but for now I'm just happy to have filled the void in my wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy.

    Any further progress on the audio controls. Fitted mine a while ago, but as yet not sorted out the pink and white wire connection from rotary coupler to HU any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks Ken

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.