75000 Mile Service

Service time, long over due as a result of mother nature.

Pretty big one this time, decided to refresh a few elements.

The full list of what's been done;

  • New radiator
  • Coolant flush and replaced with O.A.T + water (1:1 mix)
  • Oil changed for Mobile Super 2000
  • Oil filter changed for a new HOF213 halfords part
  • Wynn's Hydraulic valve lifter treatment added.



First up was to change the radiator over. I picked up a brand new one off of ebay dirt cheap, under £30. So all hoses off and out came the old one. Which on inspection after removal, was considerably worse than I thought it was. As you can see from the pictures below it was pretty corroded, with blue tinge's all over, probably coolant.

Here are some pictures of the old one and the shiny new one. (Excuse the state of my car in the picture of the radiator fitted)






Whilst the radiator was off, I took the chance to flush the coolant system. Since I had bought it, it had the wrong type of coolant in it (unbeknownst to me). So out came the hose and flushing began. All signs were good as only clear water came out, no mayo/hgf signs. Then with the radiator fitted, the new O.A.T coolant was added. The bleed screw was a bit of a bugger to locate, for your (and my) information a picture of it is below.




All changed the engine runs slightly quieter, as always with a service, and stays at the right temperature. So all-in-all a successful service. 

For the price of a new one, I'd definitely recommend changing your radiator, judging by mine yours could end up being quite a lot worse than you thought.

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.