Engine Detail

The exterior of the car is now looking pretty darn good, the MG ZR body kit, Cupra R splitter, de-tango'd indicators etc. all complimenting each other perfectly.

Wanting to make use of the good weather, I focused on an area of the car that was looking a little lacklustre, the engine bay. Being a bit of a wuss, I chickened out of using a pressure washer to tidy it up as I didn't want to mess up the electrics.

Instead I resorted to some good old fashioned elbow grease and a new product I'd not tried before, Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner.

Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner

Using some old brushes I found lying around in the man cave, I worked the cleaner fluid into all the surfaces. I didn't go too mad, only addressing the worst of the grime, but it was making quite a difference.

After wiping all the surfaces to remove any excess cleaner fluid, I applied a coating of Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Protectant to give everything a nice sheen.

Before and After

MG ZR Rover 25 1.4 K Series Engine BayMG ZR Rover 25 1.4 K Series Engine Bay Detailed

MG ZR Rover 25 Engine Bay Washer Fluid Refill CapMG ZR Rover 25 Engine Bay Washer Fluid Refill Cap

MG ZR Rover 25 Engine Bay Coolant ReservoirMG ZR Rover 25 Engine Bay Coolant Reservoir

For a couple of hours work, it was well worth the effort, transforming the engine bay from that of an unloved commuter vehicle to someone's pride and joy.

MG ZR Rover 25 K Series Engine Bay Injectors


2 comments:

  1. i did the same used some oven cleaner to break down the oil and i am happy to say it didn't eat through anything to finish off i used a rubber darker to give it a shin and i am impressed nice work on your car wish i had the space,time and money but i doo my best. i am looking to do more but i haven't been taking pics though the paint work has scratches :( hope to remove them all with scrubbing compound,buffing and polishing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stefano, good tip with the oven cleaner, I bet it works a treat on the stubborn stuff.

    Keep up the work with your own car, and take loads of pics, it will be worth it in the end.

    Hope to see you back here soon!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.